And then they were 9.

FPD has Mighty!!!  Yesterday was a long one for all of us.  FPD got up early and went for a run, enjoying the sights of the West Lake in Hangzhou.  

FPD reports that it’s gorgeous and that he can’t wait to explore the sights with Mighty.  

He ran back to the hotel to shower and get ready.  

As he was doing this, I was texting him over and over, probably fueling his anxiety.  I kept pestering him with questions like ‘Did you pack the treats I sent to give him?’ or ‘Do you have the adoption paperwork?’  Duh.  Yes.  And yes.  It’s so hard to be a world away when you’re a total control freak.  

FPD got to the Provisional Affairs Office and another family was meeting their child.  Since the officials take children from all over the province to this city for their first meeting with their parents, not all the kids were from Mighty’s orphanage.  Mighty’s orphanage staff was late.  So FPD waited.  And I texted.  Annoying the crap out of him, I’m sure.  All the sudden my cell phone chimed and this popped up.  

Then there was radio silence.  

His cell reception is spotty at best in China.  No more texting.  Y’all, I nearly died.  In the middle of the night, I was able to get the rest of the scoop via email though.  

The orphanage staff had prepared him SO well for the transition.  They had told him it would be scary, but that everyone loved him. He came with a toy robot that the Orphanage Director had given him to help make him “feel happy.”  He also had a brand new SpongeBob backpack strapped to his back.  In it was a photo album FULL of baby pictures of him.  Memories from his life in China that he can hold onto whenever he is homesick.  


Mighty did really well getting his fingerprints done.  
He liked the toys that FPD brought.  He put up with getting his picture taken with the Orphanage Director.  He even smiled.

Then he began to explore a little.  And, he liked the backpacks of the other boys who were meeting their parents.  In fact, he liked some of the other toys SO much that he tried to put them in his own backpack.  He did NOT appreciate it when FPD guided him gently to give the ill-gotten toy phone back to the distraught child he had just taken it from.  

We got this.  

The Stink Eye.  He’ll fit in REALLY well around here if he’s already got that down.  

Then it was time to leave the office.  Then there were tears.  Heart wrenching, soul ripping tears.  FPD picked him up and told him there would be lunch.  

And, there it was, and just like that, he was happy again.  It comes in waves with preschoolers.  We get that.  

He ate the whole lunch.  He is in no way malnourished.  His favorite food…”meat.”  But, he eats veggies very well too.  All of them.  Then he ate FPD’s fried rice.  

FPD let him.  Because while there will be portion control initiated slowly over the next few months, a full belly is important right now.  Mighty even referred to himself as a “piggie.”  That made FPD laugh.  

Then it was off to get passport photos and “family” photos done.  

I love this photo.  I knew it would be a stark contrast in size.  This proves it.  They’re quite the sight, the new baba and his tiny son.  

On the home front this morning, eight children were bribed into getting ready for school quickly by being told they could see a video of their new brother if they were super speedy.  

Y’all, I’ve never seen them get ready so fast.  With hat and gloves on, they gathered around the laptop to hear their new little brother for the first time.

And then, just like that… there were 9.

who can’t wait for FPD and his new Tiny Chinese to hit U.S. Soil. 
InstagramVote For Use @ Top Mommy BlogsPhotobucket

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: