Turns out,

I actually COULDN’T care less.  For those of you who sent me a note on my grammar on my Yahoo article this morning, you were all so polite about it that I had to give you a shout out.  My husband is appalled at my error, being the grammar enthusiast that he is.  Thank you for being so kind when explaining to me the difference between when you COULD and COULDN’T care less.  I promise, at one point, I did know the difference.  That error made it past my editor (you know him, his name is Cam).    I am woman enough to admit my mistakes.  There are SO many of them, but this one is an easy fix.  I have gone back and corrected the error in my post.  Again, thank you!

Thank you for helping Cate become a trending topic.  Not only for her, but for every kid who has a visible difference.  Hopefully, reading our tiny little anecdote will help people understand that those types of outburst hurt.  Be kind.  It’s all parents like me, and kids like mine, ask.

To everyone who wrote to me to complain about my “whining”, or “wining” for those of you who forgot the ‘h’, although I do enjoy that kind occasionally too, the irony of you emailing me whining about what a w(h)iner I am wasn’t lost on me.  You’re funny too, in a whole different way. I got your emails though, and here’s a shout out to you too, because I heard you, and obviously, you didn’t get the point of the post.  That’s okay.  I write for my kids, the people who care about them, and not so much for anyone else.

–FullPlateMom, who is, and always will be, an unabashed whiner when it comes to someone hurting her babies.

8 Comments Add yours

1. IsabEl says:

Hello
    My name is Isabel and I just wanted that I also have a vision problem. My left eye didn’t develop when I was a fetus and I have to wear a fake eye. It’s been hard for me even though I’ve had to deal with it all my life. There are days where I don’t want to look at myself especially when I’m not wearing the prosthetic eye. I’m really happy that your daughter has you to help her be comfortable with her self. And I hope she will love her self to the max.

2. Cathy Greene says:

Just wanted to tell you that you have a gorgeous family. God has truly blessed you.

Warm regards,

Cathy Greene

3. Pat says:

They are making such progress with stem cell therapy these days that it is entirely possible that a new eye could be grown through stem cell therapy. Maybe affordable through clinical trials.

4. Frank Orifici says:

That was a very very bad mistake. Thank goodness for husbands with good English, as I’m sure my wife will tell you.

Having lived that life (dealing with unkind looks) for the past ten years, I can relate. I feel it worse than you, I think. If someone looks at my special needs Chinese daughter as we pass them on the street, and he doesn’t immediately melt, I want to grab him by the collar, get in his face and say, “You got a problem?” Sometimes it includes the word “fuck”. I don’t actually say it, you understand. Managed to hold it in so far. My daughter is so adorable, she should be used for the Voit-Kampff (sp?) test in the world of Bladerunner to tell if someone is s replicant.

I once had to restrain myself when an OT was evaluating her and happened to explain to her trainee, “There, do you see, the nystagmus.” It’s a fact. She did or does have it, or something like it. I wanted to say to the trainee, and do you notice the excessive body odor of your mentor? Have you worked with many OT’s? Do you find this to be a general characteristic, or is it just my unlucky encounters with a select few? She didn’t have BO, of course, but I think she might have gotten the point. Which was? I don’t know. Perhaps that some parents aren’t so open to hearing their children described as experimental subject? I shouldn’t have taken offense, but for some reason it did piss me off.

But…you’ve got to cut that woman some slack. A stupid, partly visceral reaction was followed up by a lame attempt to regain face, to explain it away. People dig themselves holes sometimes. Like Michael Richards’ comments about Blacks when he couldn’t deal with his audience. There was really a very small amount of time and few good options for dealing with the initial reaction. Seems like a simple, “I’m so sorry” doesn’t come so easily anymore, and once the moment is lost, options for recovery get fewer and fewer. People suck (sorry Anne Frank), but we know that, and have to learn not to take stupidity personally. I know, I know…I’m not there yet either.

5. Frank Orifici says:

Arrgh…! If you post it, fix my English! Delete “them” in the third line!

6. Mike VelKy says:

Hello Becky Ketarkus,
    Saw your article and photos about your beautiful little girl with the left eye issue, and I’m not sure if you are already aware of this but most Pediatric Optometrists carry very colorful eye patches called ORTOPADS for children that need ‘lazy-eye’ corrections. Your daughter might enjoy wearing these as a alternative to the eye bandage I saw in the picture.

Kind regards,
    Mike Velky

7. Poppy Is beautiful….unfortunately the world we live in too often leaves much to be desired…..manners, empathy….just plain tact….great that your family now includes beautiful Poppy and that she is now loved, protected, and looked after by you and the rest of your family….

8. Emilie Nielsen says:

You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing. I wish people would not react unkindly, especially to children, but they do. As far as grammar police… like you don’t have enough things on your mind! I will keep Poppy in my thoughts, best wishes to you all!